Thu, 21
8 °C
Fri, 22
6 °C
Sat, 23
4 °C

Flackwell Heath dispatch Sutton Athletic to set up FA Cup clash against Slough Town at Wilks Park

Tom Burton

Flackwell Heath 3, Sutton Athletic 1 (FA Cup first qualifying round, replay).

Flackwell Heath set up a date with Slough Town in the second qualifying round of the FA Cup after dispatching Sutton Athletic 3-1 in Tuesday's replay.

The Heathens flew out of the traps under the lights at Wilks Park and took the lead in the 13th minute, Ashley Howell glancing a header past the keeper from Simeon Weekes cross.

Six minutes later Howell doubled his, and his side's, tally, taking a touch to glide past the sprawling defender before slotting coolly past the keeper.

Sutton knocked at the door but couldn't find an opening, that is until three minutes after the restart when Arlie Desanges lifted a first time shot over Watkins.

And only an acrobatic clearance from Phil Pryor prevented Sutton from levelling matters with 18 minutes to play, the defender nodding the ball over the bar at full stretch before ending in a heap in the back of the net.

Flackwell's support nervously checked their watches as the clock ticked toward the 90 minute mark, and they held their breath when the referee's assistant indicated seven minutes of stoppage time.

But, in the fourth of those minutes, they put the tie to bed when substitute Leuis Sinclair bent the ball around the keeper and into the net.

Flackwell now look forward to hosting National League South side Slough Town on September 21 at Wilks Park.

Credit to Sutton, who held the Heathens to a 1-1 draw on Saturday and proved a huge obstacle for Marcus Richardson's men over 180 minutes.


Holyport 3, Wallingford Town 3 (Wallingford go through 5-4 on penalties) (Floodlit Cup)

Holyport bowed out of the Floodlit Cup on Tuesday night, losing on penalties to Wallingford Town after a thrilling 3-3 draw at Summerleaze Village.

Derek Sweetman's side were unbeaten in league and cup football coming into the clash, and took the lead in the early stages.

But, on this occasion, they met their match in Wallingford. The visitors levelled matters on the half-hour mark, despite the best efforts of Chappman in the Port goal.

Chappman's punch then fell kindly for Wallingford's player to thump home their second on the volley five minutes before the break. Sutherland levelled matters in the 67th minute, showing great strength to hold off two defenders before poking home.

A low strike from 20 yards saw Wallingford regain their lead in the 75th minute, but Port struck back immediately with Steven Deverall delivering for Daniel Rapley to head home just a minute later.

Neither side managed to find the net again, so, after 90 minutes, the game went straight to spot kicks which the visitors won 5-4.


Burnham 4, Banbury United Development 0

The Blues bounced back from Saturday's FA Cup exit to beat Banbury's Development team 4-0 at The Gore last night (Tuesday).

Leave your comment

Share your opinions on

Characters left: 1500

Editor's Picks

Most read

Top Ten Articles