Sat, 23
3 °C
Sun, 24
2 °C
Mon, 25
5 °C

Marlow Men's 1sts drop points for the first time this season

Marlow men’s first team dropped points for the first time this season after an end-to-end battle against Oxford Hawks 2nds at Pound Lane finished 4-4.

Marlow came into the clash on top of the league, three points clear of the Hawks, but they knew they’d be in for a rough ride and so it proved.

Hawks opened the scoring within the first minute thanks to a deflected strike, but Marlow gradually found their rhythm, scoring twice in a seven-minute spell through George Evans and Callum White. Marlow thought they’d grasped the ascendancy heading into the break, but the Hawks caught them on the counter and bagged two goals in five minutes to carry a 3-2 lead into the interval.

It got worse for the league leaders when Hawks extended their lead just five minutes after the restart, but the hosts showed enormous character to get back on level terms and maintain their unbeaten start. Lewis Goodman got them back in the game with a brilliant turn and strike in the 53rd minute while White bagged his second of the game just five minutes later. Marlow continued to press for a winner but were unable to convert and a point was a fair result in a match that saw no cards brandished by the umpires.

In heavy rain Marlow’s 2nd team were beaten 3-2 away at Sonning. Dan Field and Mav Girn were on target for the visitors.

Other results saw the 3rds beat Reading 5ths 4-0 away to remain unbeaten and top of their division. George Atkins, Trevor Jackson, Tristan Rints and Robin Walls were on target. The 4ths beat Leighton Buzzards 2nds 2-0 away with goals from Josh Covus and Charley Hunter. The 5ths lost 4-3 at home to Wallingford 3rds and the 6ths lost 4-0 away to OMT 4ths. The Veterans Strollers side continued their good form with a 5-1 win over Camberley Owls. Brad Barker (two), Bernard Tyler, Eric Weston and Ollie Green were the scorers.

The Ladies 1st team were undone by a couple of rockets from penalty corners as Spencers 1sts claimed a 3-1 win on Saturday.

The first team were the only ladies’ team in action this weekend because of the half-term break and, in an entertaining clash, they looked dangerous on the break. However, Spencer took the lead from a penalty corner in the 20th minute, a strike which keeper Dibs Haisman was unable to keep out. Marlow equalised with a diving deflection from Emma Bunyard, her first goal of the season. But injuries and tired legs eventually saw the hosts wilt and concede twice in the final five minutes.

Leave your comment

Share your opinions on

Characters left: 1500

Editor's Picks

Most read

Top Ten Articles