Sun, 27
15 °C
Mon, 28
18 °C
Tue, 29
16 °C

Simone's stunners sink Poole Town as Maidenhead United Women pick up first three point haul

Neil Maskell

Photo by Darren Woolley


Maidenhead United Women 2, Poole Town Women 0

A much improved performance from Maidenhead United Women saw a deserved success against Poole Town which clinched a first three point haul of the FA Women's National League season in the York Road sun.

The game started frenetically albeit there were very few chances created in the early stages. Maidenhead had loud shouts for a penalty when tenacious skipper Tina Brett went down in the box but it was Ellie Parker in the home goal who was the first of the two 'keepers to be called into serious action. With nearly twenty minutes on the clock, Parker pulled off a couple of expert blocks in a matter of moments as Poole created a couple of openings.

These crucial saves kept Maidenhead on level terms and were to go some way towards ensuring a first clean sheet of the season. Annika Striepecke drilled over for the home side and suddenly chances were coming thick and fast as Hannah Varney glanced a header wide from a Poole corner and then Le Cumbre turned and chipped an effort narrowly off target for Maidenhead.

There was another presentable Poole opening when Varney received a cross from the left and fired over but five minutes before the break it was Maidenhead who took the lead.

Simone O'Brien was put clean through on goal but her initial effort was smothered by Samantha Chrippes in the Poole goal. O'Brien was first to the loose ball and delightfully chipped Chrippes to put the Magpies ahead.

With the confidence of opening up a lead for the first time this season, Maidenhead dominated most of the second period, playing some excellent football. Brett was put through on goal but was denied by Chrippes before the lead was doubled barely ten minutes into the second half.

Again it was O'Brien who chipped Chrippes, this time having the vision to hit the net with a first time finish to double the lead.

The hard-working Brett was unfortunate not to have extended the lead; first snuffed out by Emma King when through on goal, before getting her head on to a dangerous free-kick only to be denied by Chrippes who later thwarted the Maidenhead captain once more when Brett got a shot away early having been released by an expert through ball.

Substitute Steph Nelson was unable to get a telling touch onto another fantastic Alex Dover delivery in the final moments and Maidenhead settled for a very satisfactory two-nil victory.

Magpies joint manager George Marsh was understandably delighted with his team: "I thought the girls were fantastic today and worked tremendously hard for the result and deserved the outcome they got.

"They took what we’ve been working on at training in recent weeks and implemented it on the pitch today and we couldn’t be happier with it. We still have lots to work on, now we must push on and pick up more points and to start challenging in every game with all teams".


MAIDENHEAD: Parker, Malhotra, Mace, Dover, Bloor, Thompson, Vietz (Sub Nelson, 66), Striepecke,Brett (C), Le Cumbre (Sub Nazif, 77), O'Brien (Sub Halfacre, 84).

Sub not used: Carty-Duhaney.

GOALS: O'Brien (40,54)

POOLE TOWN: Chrippes, Witherington (C), King, Maidment, Pike, Tucknott, Gubb (Sub House, 64), Paynter (Sub Marshallsay, 59), Hawkins, Symes (Sub Brett, 83), Varney.

Leave your comment

Share your opinions on

Characters left: 1500

Editor's Picks

Most read

Top Ten Articles