Sat, 08
33 °C
Sun, 09
33 °C
Mon, 10
32 °C

Football round-up: Birthday boy Whitehall on target but Maidenhead United lose at Eastleigh

Eastleigh 2, Maidenhead United 1

Maidenhead United produced an improved display but their winless run continued as they were beaten 2-1 by Eastleigh last night.

Manager Alan Devonshire will feel his side once again failed to get the rub of the green as the Spitfires churned out their third win in four matches.

Danny Whitehall celebrated his birthday by firing home the side’s equaliser shortly after Eastleigh had taken the lead through Danny Hollands’ header.

But the Magpies failure to take their chances came back to bite them midway through the second half when Tyrone Barnett headed home.

United probably should have travelled home with at least a point to show for their efforts, with James Akintunde denied by Eastleigh keeper Max Stryjeck when through one-on-one in the 74th minute – the striker injuring himself in the process.

But it wasn’t to be and the side have now gone eight matches without a win in the National League. They and Stockport County are the most out of form sides in the division with both having lost four of their last five matches and drawn the other one.

They sit 16th in the table, two points off the relegation places, ahead of Saturday’s trip to Ebbsfleet United.

Reflecting on their display, assistant boss Ryan Peters tweeted: “Performance was most definitely back today. Full of life and endeavour.

“Deserved something from tonight. Eastleigh were clinical, taking probably their only two chances. The results will come I’m sure of it. We bounce back at Ebbsfleet.”


The Magpies will play Wealdstone in the fourth qualifying round of the FA Cup after the Stones thrashed Bristol Manor Farm 4-0 in last night’s replay.

The tie will take place at York Road on Saturday, October 19, 3pm kick-off with a place in the first round proper at stake.


Slough Town 2, Chippenham Town 3 (FA Cup third qualifying round)

Slough Town won’t be repeating their glorious FA Cup runs of the past two seasons after they bowed out of the competition against Chippenham Town last night.

The Rebels had rescued a replay with Town on Saturday thanks to Ryan Bird’s injury-time equaliser, but at Arbour Park they were beaten 3-2 by their clinical visitors.

Jarvis fired the visitors in front shortly before the interval before Max Worsfold’s corner hit a Chippenham player and deflected into the net to make it 1-1 in the 50th minute. A magnificent goal from Haines restored the visitors’ lead just a couple of minutes later and, although Matt Lench levelled matters once more with a cross that evaded everyone and flew into the net, Chambers prevailed with an 84th minute winner from Chambers on the volley.

The Rebels had a few late chances through Dan Roberts and Warren Harris but it wasn’t to be.

Afterwards joint manager Neil Baker tweeted: “Gutted to lose tonight. Chippenham were absolutely clinical. Would have been great to go on another FA Cup run but not to be. Lads have been class to go 11 unbeaten. Now we have to start another one against Billericay on Non League Day. Encourage as many people as possible to come along.”


Wantage Town 1, Windsor 3

A dominant display saw Windsor advance in the Berks & Bucks Senior Cup with a 3-1 win at Wantage Town last night.

Mark Cooper’s side, who defeated Royal Wootton Bassett 4-2 in the league on Saturday, raced into a two goal lead thanks to strikes from Andy Ingram and Mahumba.

The visitors then wrapped matters up with a third goal from Macaskill in the 53rd minute before Wantage managed a consolation through Glover.


Flackwell Heath 3, Shrivenham 2

Joining Windsor in the next round will be Flackwell Heath after their 3-2 win over Shrivenham in an entertaining tie at Wilks Park.

Marcus Ushiro-Lumb stroked the Reds in front in the 40th minute after some trickery from Khalid Simmo. Simmo then gave the home side a stranglehold on the tie with a superb second just before the break.

Shrivenham pegged them back with a goal after 69 minutes but the Heathens restored their cushion when Josh Baines free-kick forced the keeper into a fumble and Simeon Weekes pounced to score. The visitors missed a 74th minute penalty before grabbing a second in stoppage-time, but Flackwell held on.

Marlow beat FC Romania 3-2 on penalties in last night’s Velocity Trophy group 5 clash. The Blues had raced into a 2-0 lead through Devonn Reid’s penalty and Seye Okunlola 20th minute strike, but Romania fought back to make it 2-2 in normal time before the Blues edged it in the shoot-out.

Leave your comment

Share your opinions on

Characters left: 1500

Editor's Picks

Most read

Top Ten Articles