Sat, 08
33 °C
Sun, 09
33 °C
Mon, 10
32 °C

Highlights: Maidenhead United set for a replay with Halesowen Town after entertaining 2-2 draw

Halesowen Town 2, Maidenhead United 2

Maidenhead United will have to replay Halesowen Town for the chance to reach the third round of the FA Trophy after the sides played out an entertaining and competitive 2-2 draw at The Grove on Saturday.

The Magpies held the lead twice, thanks to goals from Joe Ellul and Josh Smile in the first half, but The Yeltz were never overawed by the three league gap between themselves and their visitors as they battled back to deservedly earn a second bite of the cherry.

This was Halesowen’s 10th FA Trophy tie this season compared to Maidenhead’s second and chances came thick and fast in an end-to-end first half.

United got off to a flyer when Ellul got in front of his marker to flash home a header from Josh Smile’s corner in only the second minute.

But Alan Devonshire’s side never really got a measure of control over their hosts, who threw caution to the wind and created some good openings. Ash Sammons fired a long range shot just wide in the fifth minute before attempting a spectacular overhead kick which looped over the bar. Josh Hawker’s 12th minute free-kick was then punched clear by Chris Dunn while Montel Gibson was also denied by the Maidenhead stopper from James Bowen’s cross in the first half.

The home side deservedly levelled in the 41st minute when Gibson laid the ball off for Robbie Burn to fire past Dunn, the ball flying into the top corner and giving the keeper little chance.

However, the Magpies were clinical in the first half and restored their advantage a couple of minutes later when Smile was granted too much space on the edge of the area and drilled the ball low into the bottom corner.

Paul Smith’s side made the perfect start to the second half when they levelled for a second time, defender Andy Parsons meeting Robbie Bunn’s 49th minute corner to direct home a header. Simeon Cobourne, who netted twice in the Yeltz’s replay win over Bradford Park Avenue, was a nuisance for the Magpies’ defence in the 68th minute, skipping into the penalty area before teeing up Ali who fired wide.

Devonshire will probably feel his side should have won the tie in the closing stages, with Jake Cassidy denied by Brendon Bunn. The visitors also forced a series of late corners from which Ellul nearly headed home his second of the game.

Ryan Upward volleyed a late chance over the bar in injury time and with that went Maidenhead’s hopes of getting this tie done and dusted at the first attempt.

The two teams will replay at York Road tomorrow (Tuesday) evening, 7.45pm kick-off.

The draw for the third round of the competition will take place this lunchtime.


Maidenhead United: Chris Dunne; Alan Massey (c), Joe Ellul, Ryheem Sheckleford, Seth Twumasi, James Comley, Josh Smile, Remy Clerima, Ryan Upward, Danny Whitehall, Jake Cassidy. Subs Not Used: Aron Davis, Reece Smith, Shamir Fenelon, Bernard, Mensah, James Akintunde.

Attendance: 892

Leave your comment

Share your opinions on

Characters left: 1500

Editor's Picks

Most read

Top Ten Articles