Fri, 04
6 °C
Sat, 05
6 °C
Sun, 06
6 °C

Second straight defeat for the Magpies as King's Lynn come from behind to snatch the points

Sam Barratt netting his second goal from the spot. Photo Darren Woolley


Maidenhead United 2, King’s Lynn Town 3

King’s Lynn Town scored twice in the final 10 minutes to come from behind and take all three points against Maidenhead United tonight.

The Magpies were looking to bounce back after Saturday’s 3-0 defeat to Sutton United, and twice took the lead through Sam Barratt penalties in the seventh and 55th minutes.

However, King’s Lynn were a match for their hosts throughout and levelled matters in the first half through Simon Power’s fantastic free kick, before turning the game their way with strikes from Dayle Southwell in the 82nd minute and Aaron Jones in the 90th.

Maidenhead’s players and management team will feel like they’ve thrown away at least a point, despite the visitors dominating the latter stages of both halves.

Southwell took his goal well to fire past Taye Ashby-Hammond with eight minutes remaining, but he was given far too much space to turn and fire the ball into the top corner. The less said about King’s Lynn’s winner the better. Ashby-Hammond should probably have cleared the ball, but he and his defenders left the job to each other and Jones – a thorn in the Magpies side throughout with his crafty right-wing play – turned the ball through a crowded penalty area and into the net.

The Magpies started well in an eerily quiet York Road and took the lead when Ryan Upward was brought down as he fired off a shot on goal. The challenge was a rash one, but Nathan Blissett, making his competitive debut for the side, should be credited for some strong hold up play and a nice pass into the midfielder in the build-up. Barratt, on his first return to York Road after re-joining the club following his spell with Southend United in the EFL, slammed the ball past the diving Alex Street.

King’s Lynn served notice of their capabilities with a stinging shot from Cameron King which Ashby-Hammond did well to turn behind in the 15th minute and skipper Alan Massey quite literally put his body on the goal line to keep out Alex Brown’s strike on 25 minutes. It was no surprise therefore to see the visitors level matters in the 35th minute, but the manner of it surprised everyone. Power, from close to the left touchline, fired a ball into the area which deceived Ashby-Hammond and flew into the top corner.

The visitors might have gone in at the break with their noses in front, but the crossbar came to Maidenhead’s rescue. Adam Marriott took advantage of George Wells’ misplaced backpass and lifted the ball over Ashby-Hammond only to see it bounce off the top of the bar.

United again started the half well, with Upward’s shot from just outside the area striking the ankle of Blissett and striking the outside of the post before Dan Sparkes deflected drive went a whisker wide a few moments later. The home side were then awarded their second penalty of the night when Ryheem Sheckleford did excellently to beat his man on the right touchline and picked out Blissett. The striker’s shot was goalbound but struck a hand and the referee pointed to the spot. Barratt again made no mistake, this time burying his penalty to the goalkeeper’s left.

It looked like the Magpies might press on for a third, but once again their fitness levels dropped, and King’s Lynn came back into the contest. Jordan Richards’ flashed a header just wide of the upright from a 72nd minute corner before Southwell and Jones’ late goals turned the tide very firmly in their favour.

United will look to respond once more when they host Hartlepool United on Saturday.

Leave your comment

Share your opinions on

Characters left: 1500

Editor's Picks

Most read

Top Ten Articles