Wed, 24
17 °C
Thu, 25
15 °C
Fri, 26
13 °C

Marlow FC beat Aylesbury United FC in FA Cup replay with extra-time penalty

Marlow 2, Aylesbury United 1 (aet)

Marlow are through to the FA Cup Second Qualifying Round away to Kempston Rovers following a long drawn out victory over Aylesbury United last night.

After a 0-0 draw in the first match on Sunday, Tuesday’s replay was equally tight with the match being decided by a penalty in extra-time.

With key players in Jordan Brown and Alex Salmon both missing with injuries sustained in Sunday's first game, Kelvin Bossman and Idris Kamara came in as replacements alongside Allen Bossman and Charlie Samuel in the starting line-up with Isaac Osei-Tutu and Kamaron English both dropping down to the Marlow bench.

The Blues opened the scoring on seven minutes when a Charlie Samuel shot from outside the box reached the feet of Junaid Bell whose quick control and shot on the turn found the back of the net.

In what proved to be a much better game than the first at Chesham on Sunday, Marlow continued to impress before the Ducks struck on 78 minutes when a missed kick from Calum Gallimore in his own area allowed the ball to flash across goal where Max Hercules at the far post turned it in for a surprising equaliser.

It was not until the seventh minute of extra-time that Marlow retook the lead.

Osei-Tutu’s trickery and pace saw him felled in the Ducks’ box which inevitably led to a penalty being awarded.

Chris Ovenden, who had started the day on a beach in Tunisia, stepped up to send Davis the wrong way and book a place in the second qualifying round for Marlow.

Osei-Tutu was again involved in the 117th minute in setting up a chance for Palmer McCoy which was skied over from six yards, and Jack Wood headed wide at the Marlow end in the final minutes.

The Blues’ Jack Kerrigan and the Ducks’ Kieran Lataille were both dismissed just before the final whistle.


Leave your comment

Share your opinions on

Characters left: 1500

Most Recent

Most read

Top Ten Articles