Wed, 20
18 °C
Thu, 21
18 °C
Fri, 22
17 °C

Slough Town wake up from Frome hangover just in time against Chippenham Town

A welcome winter break beckons for Slough Town after a disappointing start to December saw them pick up just one point from two games.

An uncharacteristically lack-lustre display at home to Frome Town saw the Rebels slump to a 2-1 defeat on Saturday

And the slump was only partially arrested on Tuesday away to promotion rivals Chippenham Town when they bounced back from 3-1 down to snatch a 3-3 draw.

“The game at Frome wasn’t a good performance from us at all and we got rightly beaten to be honest,” said joint manager Neil Baker.

“We didn’t create a lot of chances, which hasn’t been like us at home at all this season, and we just looked like we were lacking in confidence.

“And we probably went into the Chippenham game with a bit of a hangover from that.

“We wanted to remain as solid as we could but didn’t really play to our potential.

“But then the second half was a very different game and we managed to get ourselves back into it.”

An early goal from Frome Town skipper Sam Teale condemned Slough to spend most of the 90 minutes chasing a game in which they were largely second best.

The visitors managed to double the lead halfway through the second half and although the rebels pulled one back courtesy of a James Dobson penalty they didn’t have enough left in the tank to draw level before the final whistle.

Away to Chippenham three days later Baker’s men made an even worse start, conceding after just 12 minutes when Maidenhead United old boy Mark Nisbet and keeper Mark Scott were both beaten by ex-Bristol Rovers striker Andy Sandell.

Slough’s troubles deepened on the half-hour mark when Sandell brought down Scott, leaving the shot stopper a much reduced force for the rest of the match.

Rebel’s boss Baker said: “He had come through to clear the ball and when he did one of their [Chippenham’s] lads came through and went in with his studs up.

“The ref gave a free kick but he didn’t even talk to the lad who did it – I was disappointed with that.”

The visitors managed to claw back a goal to draw level early in the second half, but it wasn’t long before the hosts fought back to leave it 3-1 just 10 minutes later.

The introduction of Nathan Smart, replacing Paul Stonehouse seemed to change the game however and the fightback was on. Even a penalty miss by striker Charlie Moone wasn’t enough to derail Slough’s efforts. And with just a minute before full-time he redeemed himself, and rescued a point by prodding home from a long throw in to make the final score 3-3.

Photo by Horsham Rebel Photography


Leave your comment

Share your opinions on

Characters left: 1500

Most Shared

Most Commented

Top Ten Articles