10:00AM, Saturday 09 September 2017
SLOUGH Town will entertain a Dulwich Hamlet side Neil Baker rates as the second best at step three in the second qualifying round of the FA Cup after easing past Berkhampsted last weekend.
The Rebels were never truly troubled as they marched on in the competition and Baker’s fears of a ‘banana skin’ never materialised.
They stamped their authority over their lower league rivals in the first half after Manny Williams and Lee Togwell found the net. And Matt Lench’s finish 10 minutes after the break sealed their progression to the second qualifying round.
More goals could have followed, but for the fine keeping of Berko’s Carl Tasker, but in Baker’s eyes this was a professional job done well.
“First 10 minutes they put us under the cosh,” said Baker. “But we got two relatively early goals and after that it was comfortable.
“After we scored the third goal the game was pretty much done. It was a good, professional performance. We did what we needed to do.
“We missed quite a few chances and in reality we should have scored five or six. But we’re into the next round and that’s the only important thing.”
Dulwich Hamlet lie in wait for the Rebels at Arbour Park on September 16 and Baker is under no illusions as to how tough that will be.
“They’re a good side,” said Baker. “They’ve missed out on the play-offs the last two or three years, but they do things the right way and play the game the right way.
“They’re probably the second best side at step three other than Billericay.
“They haven’t started the season as well as they’d have liked but I’d expect them to be in the mix (for title).
“It should be a great tie between two teams that are really going for it.
“It could be very similar to the game against Bognor last year, hopefully a similar result as well but we’re under no illusions it will be tough.
“A home tie is what we wanted, but how much of an advantage the 3G will be I don’t know because they like to play football as well.”
Slough host Dunstable Town in the league this afternoon.
Top Ten Articles
A murder investigation has been launched by the police after a 43-year-old man died following an incident at The Earl of Cornwall pub in Cippenham Lane.