Wed, 22
25 °C
Thu, 23
22 °C
Fri, 24
17 °C

Football round-up: Wadkins fires in hat-trick as Slough Town hit struggling Dunstable Town for eight

Slough Town 8, Dunstable Town 1

Brad Wadkins fired in a hat-trick as Slough Town maintained their fine start to the campaign with a comfortable home win over struggling Dunstable.

The Rebels ran out easy winners in the end but didn’t have things all their own way as Dunstable pegged them back to go in 1-1 at half-time.

Neil Baker had warned before kick-off that this wouldn’t be a walk in the park for the Rebels, but it looked like he needn’t have worried when Wadkins headed home from Guy Hollis’ knock down in the 14th minute.

Chances came and went before Dunstable levelled against the run of play when Aaron Hudson’s low shot skidded past Jack Turner and into the net on 44 minutes.

A rousing half-time team talk from Baker and Jon Underwood did the trick, however, and the 786 inside Arbour Park saw the Rebels score seven unanswered goals in the second half.

Wadkins side-footed home James Dobson’s brilliant cross in the 54th minute to restore the home side’s advantage. It was a goal that opened the Dunstable floodgates. Mark Nisbet got in on the act two minutes later, volleying home from Dobson’s corner before Wadkins completed his hat-trick with a flicked headed finish from Nathan Webb’s cross on 65 minutes.

The management team made a triple change, with Matt Lench, Chris Flood and Manny Williams replacing James, Harris and Wadkins, but there was no let up from the hosts as Williams found the net with his first touch, curling the ball home from just inside the box.

Flood’s fine season in front of goal continued as he side-footed home Simon Dunn’s pass to make it 6-1 on 83 minutes and Dobson got a goal his overall contribution deserved when he tapped home Williams’ cross with two minutes to play. There was still time for Williams to net his second in the 92nd minute as Slough celebrated an 8-1 victory that lifts them to second in the table, just a point behind new leaders Kings Lynn Town.  

AFC Dunstable 2, Marlow 1

Marlow finished the game with eight men as they lost at new leaders AFC Dunstable.

A crazy game of football descended into farce in the latter stages as the Blues saw three of their players dismissed.

Nathan Frater netted twice in the eighth and 44th minute to put AFC Dunstable 2-1 ahead at the interval. Marlow equalised with a free-kick from Jordace Holder-Spooner that evaded everyone in the 40th minute.

But the Blues, who have been dogged by ill-discipline both this season and last, ended this game with eight players.

Their first dismissal came in the 77th minute for their left-back before their keeper was given his marching orders for an altercation involving Frater.

The referee dished out a third red card to the Blues in the 96th minute. The final whistle brought an end to an unsavoury clash, which saw AFC Dunstable move to the head of the Southern League South East table on 13 points.

The inquest will now open into Marlow’s disciplinary record after the Blues dropped to ninth in the table following today’s defeat.

Bracknell Town 3, Flackwell Heath 2

Phil John, George Short and Jon Bennett were on target as Bracknell Town narrowly defeated Flackwell Heath this afternoon.

John netted Town’s opener and Short curled home the second for the hosts as they led 2-0 at the break.

Flackwell hit back twice in the second half, their first coming from the penalty spot, but Paul Shone’s men couldn’t avoid going down to their first league defeat of the campaign.

The defeat will be all the more galling for Shone as it’s come to one of their rivals for promotion.

Windsor 2, Devizes Town 1

Windsor kicked off their FA Vase campaign with a 2-1 home win over Devizes Town.

The Royalists will feel they should have come off at the break with a lead after Barry Hayles looked to have been fouled in the area late in the half.

But 10 minutes after the restart they took the lead through former Premier League striker Hayles.

They then effectively secured their progression to the next round when Nadir Shafi scored their second with 20 minutes to play.

Mitchell pulled a goal back for the visitors almost immediately but the hosts held on to make it through this tough first qualifying round clash.

Reading 0, Bristol City 1

The Royals suffered a rare home defeat as Aden Flint’s late goal secured the points for Bristol City.

With Sone Aluko making his debut, Reading would have been hopeful of building on their 2-0 win at Birmingham City prior to the international break.

But the home side struggled to carve out chances, despite seeing plenty of the ball. The best of their first half opportunities saw Fielding deny Liam Kelly after he was set up by Aluko. While the lively Aluko linked up with Barrow, but the latter’s shot went just wide of the post.

Aluko very nearly made it a debut to remember in the 53rd minute but was crowded out after linking well with Kelly, while Fielding did brilliantly to deny Bacuna a few minutes later. Boovarsson had a golden chance to put the Royals in front with 18 minutes to play but his shot on the wet Madejski turf squirmed wide.

But the goal which settled the contest in favour of the visitors arrived with five minutes to play when Flint smashed home a bouncing ball on the volley.

Newport 0, Wycombe Wanderers 0

There was plenty of action at both ends but no goals as Wycombe Wanderers were held to a goalless drew at Newport this afternoon.

Wanderers will feel slightly unfortunate not to have left Rodney Parade with all three points after a strong second half display.

Josh Umerah sent a left-footed shot just wide for the Chairboys after Matt Bloomfield had won the ball high up the pitch, while Mackail-Smith had a glorious chance to break the deadlock for the visitors but swept wide of the near post from Umerah’s cross with only the keeper to beat.


Leave your comment

Share your opinions on

Characters left: 1500

Most Recent

Most read

Top Ten Articles

AS IT HAPPENED: A-level results day 2018

AS IT HAPPENED: A-level results day 2018

Hundreds of students across East Berkshire and South Bucks collected their results on Thursday, August 16

Our reporting team spoke to students in Slough, Windsor and Maidenhead throughout the morning with the latest reaction, stories, photos and pass rates from schools across the area.