Wed, 18
25 °C
Thu, 19
28 °C
Fri, 20
26 °C

Football round-up: Slough Town move up to second after Wadkins' late strike sinks Biggleswade Town

Slough Town 2, Biggleswade Town 1

Slough Town’s pressure paid off as Brad Wadkins scored a late winner in their home match against Biggleswade Town at Arbour Park.

The two sides were locked at 1-1 with 10 minutes to play when Matt Lench danced past a couple of challenges on the edge of the box and fed the ball to Wadkins who beat Gooch.

Slough had fallen behind in the 24th minute when they failed to cut out a corner and Shane-Hill touched the ball home with keeper Jack Turner helpless.

The Rebels came close to a leveller before the break with Lench firing over from the edge of the box and Manny Williams desperately unlucky to see his header from close range come back off the post.

The home side continued to press hard for an equaliser and they managed to get it before the interval when George Wells’ superb cross from the left was met by Warren Harris at the far post and he headed in.

Chances came and went for the Rebels after half-time, with the inform Chris Flood sending one presentable chance wide of the post and Harris half-volleying wide when he might have done better. It was all Slough in the second half with Gooch saving well from James Dobson and Flood putting the ball in the net only to be called off-side. However, the last laugh was had by the hosts when Wadkins turned the ball home after good work from the elusive Lench.

Slough face a trip to Merthyr Town on Tuesday before hosting Folkstone Invicta in the FA Cup fourth qualifying round on Saturday.

Today’s win moves them up to second in the Premier Division table, three points behind Kettering Town who were 5-0 winners over Merthyr Town this afternoon. 


Thatcham Town 3, Flackwell Heath 3

Dean Allen netted two late goals as Flackwell Heath battled back to claim a useful point at Thatcham Town this afternoon.

The visitors had taken the lead in the 10th minute through Daniel Rapley’s strike, before their promotion rivals took control of the contest.

Three unanswered goals meant that the points looked likely to go to the home side until Allen popped up with his late brace to earn Paul Shone’s men a very satisfying share of the spoils.


Marlow 0, Aveley 0

Marlow will have to replay with Aveley in the FA Trophy, after the Blues were held to a stalemate at Oak Tree Road this afternoon.

The replay will take place on Monday night.


Highmoor Ibis 0, Windsor 2

After losing both of their league games last week, Windsor got back to winning ways in the League Cup with a 2-0 win at Highmoor Ibis.

Joash Nemhard put Mick Woodham’s men in front in the 68th minute from a direct free-kick and, after Reid was given his marching orders for the hosts for a second yellow card, Windsor’s confirmed their progression to the next round through Kieran Knight’s strike.


Holyport 0, Penn & Tylers Green 2

Former Holyport player Jamie West netted a brace as Penn & Tylers claimed the points at Summerleaze Village this afternoon.

Penn & Tylers continue to lead the way in Hellenic League Division 1 East after today’s result while Port are seventh in the table after nine matches.


Burnham 0, Thame Rangers 1

Burnham failed to build on Monday night’s league win over Highmoor Ibis as they went down to a disappointing 1-0 defeat against Thame Rangers in the League Cup at The Gore.

Mark Betts’ Blues will be looking to bounce back when they host Ascot United in a crucial bottom of the table Hellenic Premier Division clash on Tuesday night.


Cambridge United 1, Wycombe Wanderers 3

Eberechi Eze netted his first Wycombe Wanderers goal as the Chairboys moved up to fourth in League 2 with a 3-1 win at Cambridge United.

Eze lit up this match with two breath-taking goals, his first a fine shot into the top corner from the edge of the box in the 47th minute, and his second another special strike just before the hour mark which gave the Cambridge keeper little chance.

Elito slotted home a penalty to bring the home side back into contention with around 20 minutes to play before Umerah sealed the points for Gareth Ainsworth’s side with an assured finish with two minutes to play.


Leave your comment

Share your opinions on

Characters left: 1500

Most Recent

Most read

Top Ten Articles