Thu, 28
21 °C
Fri, 29
22 °C
Sat, 30
23 °C

Football round-up: Lench on target as Slough Town pick up hard-earned point at Maidstone United

Maidstone United 1, Slough Town 1

Slough Town picked up another encouraging point as they drew 1-1 with Maidstone United in National League South.

Full-time Maidstone will fancy their chances of bouncing straight back up to the National League, but they were rocked when the Rebels took the lead in the 19th minute.

Matt Lench was the man who got it, clipping a shot beyond the keeper which took a nick off a Stones’ player before nestling in the net.

But the hosts levelled matters eight minutes before the interval when McClure took the ball around Jack Turner and squeezed a shot home from an acute angle.

In front of 1,815 at the Gallagher Stadium The Rebels had to soak up plenty of pressure in the second half, but they did so manfully, putting their bodies on the line when required.

McClure smashed one chance over the bar, Turner made a smart diving save and Ryan Bird cleared one off the line to protect their point.

Afterwards joint manager Jon Underwood said: “Excellent first half performance. Got in front and controlled the game until we gifted another goal.

“Had to show a different quality second half, throwing our bodies on the line to protect our point. A lot happier than this time last week.”

Slough sit third from bottom ahead of Saturday’s game at home to Bath City. 


Marlow FC 3, Barking 1

Marlow FC got their Isthmian South Central league campaign off to a flyer with a 3-1 win over Barking at Oak Tree Road.

Mark Bartley’s side took the lead after only six minutes through Ashleigh Artwell before Junaid Bell doubled the score six minutes later. Emmauel Ighorae pulled one back for the visitors in the 16th minute, and the game remained in the balance until second half stoppage-time, when Charlie Samuel scored to wrap up the points.

Marlow are away to Staines Town in the league on Tuesday night. 


Wallingford Town 0, Burnham 2 (Challenge Cup)

Burnham secured their second cup win in as many matches as they beat Wallingford Town 2-0 in the Challenge Cup this afternoon.

It’s been an emotionally draining week for the management team and the players, following the death of u18s and first team player Luca Skivington in a car crash just over a week ago.

But Paul Shone’s men have come together off the back of the tragedy to beat Tring Athletic in the FA Cup on Tuesday night, and now Wallingford in the Challenge Cup.

Burnham are at home to Binfield in the league on Tuesday. 


Flackwell Heath 2, Marlow United 1 (Challenge Cup)

Flackwell Heath manager Marcus Richardson netted twice for his side as they overcame Marlow United 2-1 in the Challenge Cup this afternoon.

He cuishoned a header into the bottom corner from Howell’s cross to put the home side ahead in the 13th minute before doubling their lead with a slammed finish for the second just after half-time. In between times Howell struck the crossbar for the Heathens who were largely in control of this one.

Mo Ceesay had a header cleared off the line on the hour-mark, but the home side weren’t able to keep a third clean sheet in a row as Marlow grabbed a late consolation.

Flackwell Heath host Easington Sports in the Hellenic Premier Division on Tuesday. 


Woodley United 2, Windsor 2 (Windsor go through 7-6 on penalties) (Challenge Cup)

Windsor are through to the next round of the Challenge Cup after penalty shoot-out heroics at lower league Woodley United.

The Royalists won the tie 7-6 on spotkicks after the tie finished 2-2 after normal time. Wheeler saved the decisive spot-kick to send interim boss Luke Brooks-Smith’s side through.

 After taking the lead in the 16th minute through Sobalak, Woodley turned the match on its head with goals from Guze in the 30th minute and Thomas in the 62nd.

That looked like being the winner until the Royalists forced a shoot-out in the 87th minute through Kirby’s penalty.

Windsor host Holmer Green in the league on Tuesday night. 


Didcot Town Development 2, Holyport 3

Holyport also progressed in the Challenge Cup after a 3-2 victory on the road at Didcot Town Development.

Port fell behind but drew level through Wes Sutherland in the 20th minute.

Second half goals from Josh Lowths and an Alan Akerman rocket took Derek Sweetman’s side through after Didcot hit back from the penalty spot in the final minutes.


Wycombe Wanderers 3, Milton Keynes Dons 2

Wycombe Wanderers left it late to bag all three points against Milton Keynes Dons at Adams Park.

Former MK Dons player David Wheeler netted the winner in the 87th minute.

The Chairboys took the lead through Joe Jacobson’s penalty in the 11th minute but Bowery tapped home to draw the visitors level on the half-hour.

Fred Onyedinma then left the Dons’ keeper rooted to the spot with a strike into the far corner in the 38th minute before McGrandles skied a penalty for MK Dons on the stroke of half-time. Houghton tucked home to drag them level once more in the 51st minute, but late pressure from the home side paid off when Wheeler netted against his former club.

Third placed Wycombe visit Fleetwood Town on Tuesday night. 

Leave your comment

Share your opinions on

Characters left: 1500

Editor's Picks

Most read

Top Ten Articles