Football round-up: Slough Town pick up crucial away win over Havant & Waterlooville

Havant & Waterlooville 1, Slough Town 2

Slough Town celebrated their second league win of the season with a 2-1 win at Havant & Waterlooville this afternoon, Freddie Grant and Aaron Kuhl scoring the visitors’ goals in the first half.

The Rebels were without a win in eight matches, since their opening day victory over Chelmsford City, but two goals in the first 20 minutes at Havant put them on course for all three points.

It didn’t take them long to find the target, Grant rising well to head home from a corner after only five minutes, his second goal in as many matches after last week’s superb strike against Billericay.

One quickly became two when Kuhl played in Ben Harris and the Rebels’ striker was taken down in the box. Kuhl stepped up to send the keeper the wrong way and put the visitors two goals to the good.

The game evened out in the period before half-time, with the two teams exchanging chances. Kuhl skied a very presentable chance to score his second of the game in the 38th minute and Matt Lench whipped a free kick narrowly past the post. At the other end Jonathan North had to be alert to keep out a couple of Havant efforts.

North preserved the Rebels clean sheet with a fantastic double save in the 68th minute, keeping out a couple of attempts from James Roberts.

Tommy Wright’s eagerness to get the hosts back into contention led to him being sent off in the 78th minute when he collided with North and caught the keeper in the head with his boot.

Ten minutes of stoppage time were added due to stoppages, and Havant pulled one back through McCarthy in the 94th minute to make it a nervy finish, but the Rebels held on with Sean Fraser making a magnificent block on the line to prevent McCarthy grabbing a last-gasp leveller.

The result lifts Slough to 18th in the table ahead of Tuesday’s home game with the team just above them in the division, Bath City.


Staines Town 1, Marlow 1

Promotion chasing Marlow dropped points for the second time in five days as they were held to a 1-1 draw by struggling Staines Town.

After losing their first league game of the season against Hanwell Town on Tuesday, manager Mark Bartley was hoping to see the Blues bounce back with a victory this afternoon.

They weren’t quite able to manage it, despite taking the lead through Marcus Mealing after only 11 minutes.

One goal has been enough for the Blues on plenty of occasions this season, however, it wasn’t at Wheatsheaf Park, with Luis Fernandez scoring for the hosts just after the interval.

Marlow slip to third in the table behind Bracknell Town who thumped Chipstead 5-0 to move second. Leaders Uxbridge also picked up maximum points with a narrow 3-2 win over Tooting & Mitcham United.

The Blues are next in action at home Westfield on Saturday in the third qualifying round of the FA Trophy.


Windsor 2, Holyport 2

Windsor grabbed a late, late leveller to secure a point against Holyport at Stag Meadow this afternoon and deny Derek Sweetman’s side only a second league win of the season.

Port looked to be closing in on all three points after goals from Dan Rapley (30) and G Lock (68) gave them a 2-1 advantage heading into stoppage time.

However, Ethan Etukudo – who’d earlier scored to bring the sides level in the 58th minute – pounced to grab a 96th minute equaliser from Taylor’s cross.

Windsor are eighth in the Combined Counties Premier Division North table, ahead of next weekend’s league visit to Wembley. Port return to action sooner for a Challenge Cup match at Walton & Hersham on Tuesday night.


Wallingford Town 2, Ascot United 2 (Wallingford win 6-5 on penalties)

Ascot United were knocked out of the FA Vase this afternoon after losing on penalties at Wallingford Town.

The Yellamen had held a two-goal lead through Nortey and Laflin before the hosts clawed their way back into contention, drawing level in the second half before winning the tie 6-5 on penalties.


Berks County 2, Burnham 1

Burnham also bowed out of the FA Vase after losing 2-1 at Berks County.

Ash James’ Blues were 2-0 down inside the opening 43 minutes but made a game of it in the second half.

Burnham travel to Frimley Green in the Challenge Cup on Tuesday night and will be looking to get back to winning ways as soon as possible after a poor run of form saw them slip down the table to 16th.


Flackwell Heath weren’t in league or cup action this afternoon but return in the league at second placed Risborough Rangers on Tuesday evening, looking for a second straight win under new management team Chris Ayres and Paul Shone.

Leave your comment

Share your opinions on

Characters left: 1500

Editor's Picks

Most read

Top Articles