Calvin Brooks' early strike condemns Maidenhead United to defeat against Weymouth

Maidenhead United 0, Weymouth 1

Calvin Brooks’ first half strike and Danilo Orsi-Dadomo’s late penalty miss cost Maidenhead United dearly against Weymouth at York Road on Tuesday evening.

The Magpies created several decent opportunities throughout the match but were well stifled by the Terras who were able to snatch their third victory against Alan Devonshire’s men this season.

Maidenhead came into this match on the back of two impressive victories and were looking to maintain their hot streak against a struggling Weymouth side that sat 20th in the table before kick off.

The free scoring Orsi-Dadomo led the line up front with Josh Coley returned to the starting line up having served his four-game suspension for a red card picked up against Eastleigh earlier this month.

With chances at a premium in the game’s early stages, the hosts ought to have struck on the 25th minute after some impressive build-up play. Having received the ball on the edge of the area, Coley set Orsi-Dadomo up for a long-range strike but the no.10’s effort could only cannon off the left post.

The Magpies looked sharp and eager to find the opener, so it came as a shock to see Weymouth break the deadlock seemingly against the run of play. Five minutes after Orsi-Dadomo’s effort, Sean Shields swung in a wild cross from deep and Brooks was quickest to turn the ball into the back of Taye Ashby-Hammond's net.

Stunned and confused, Maidenhead almost conceded again just moments before half-time after a Terras free kick caused chaos in the area and the Magpies had to hack away menacing attempts from Brooks and Brennan Camp.

Half-Time: 0-1

Rohan Ince tested Ethan Ross’ reflexes in goal from the edge of the area after the interval, and the midfielder then offered his support in defence, taking Alex McCarthy’s volley to the face which temporarily reduced the hosts to playing with 10 men.

On the hour mark, Dan Sparkes had the chance to show his skill on set pieces but his free kick, 30 yards from goal, curled way over the woodwork. With half an hour left to play, this game was far from over and Devonshire turned to his bench for inspiration, bringing on Ryheem Sheckleford and Josh Kelly for Manny Parry and Coley.

However, the Magpies boss might have wished he had waited a bit longer to make changes after Seth Twumasi was given his marching orders on the 78th minute for a possible stamp in the afters of Camp’s robust challenge.

Substitute Jerry Wiltshire squandered two great chances to restore parity for Maidenhead next. His first attempt was a header well parried by Ross, but his second really should have had the net bulging after the no.2 latched onto the end of a cross and blasted the ball over from six yards out.

However, Maidenhead’s woes in front of goal this evening were best exemplified five minutes from full time after the referee pointed to the spot when Kelly was brought down in the area. The responsibility to convert fell on Orsi-Dadomo’s shoulders - having scored six goals in his last three games – but in fortunate fashion, Ross denied the striker’s penalty kick and the Terras defenders were able to mop away any incoming danger from the rebound.

The result leaves Maidenhead United in 12th but lifts Weymouth to 18th in the National League table.

Leave your comment

Share your opinions on

Characters left: 1500

Editor's Picks

Most read

Top Articles