Aiden's bad injury forces Flackwell Heath's game to be abandoned

Marcus Richardson said ‘the journey was still in the legs’ of Flackwell Heath as they went 2-0 down at New Salamis on Saturday, before the league fixture was abandoned due to Aiden Higgs’ injury.

The hosts had fired themselves into a two-goal advantage before the incident, scoring in the second minute and on the stroke of half-time, while the Heathens struggled to hit the target.

However, an injury to Higgs shortly after the break brought the game to a halt before the referee declared its early finish following the Heathens’ physio’s assessment of the forward.

Richardson revealed to the Advertiser on Monday that his player will be sidelined for ‘about two months’ after Higgs visited the John Radcliffe Hospital for a bad sprain with suspected fracture.

“I didn’t actually see what happened to Aiden, to be fair. I just saw him on the floor shouting in pain,” said Richardson.

“My physio went onto the pitch and basically confirmed he couldn’t play the remainder of the game.

“It is a shame - Aiden was starting to find very good form and look very dangerous.

“But he’s a young lad and I have no doubt he will be back stronger and fitter Now, I’ve brought Mitchell Parker back to the club [due to Higgs’ absence]. He was with me when we had that memorable FA Vase run.”

On the Heathens’ overall performance, Richardson added: “Following the FA Cup win, I was quite confident we could get a result.

“But we started off slow and they scored within the first five minutes which instantly put us under pressure.

“It looked like the journey was in our legs, and it was a performance completely different to Tuesday.

“We created chance after chance, but just couldn’t score. Even at half-time, the referee came up to me and said, ‘I can’t work out how you lot are losing this game’.

“Credit to the opposition, they respected the situation when the referee abandoned the game.

“We will now wait and see when the league decides our rematch.

“At this moment in time, we will get on with all of our other games as normal.”

Flackwell Heath failed to make amends on Tuesday evening as they fell to a 1-0 defeat against London Colney FC.

The goal arrived in the game’s 11th minute following a mistake in the Heathens’ defence.

Leave your comment

Share your opinions on

Characters left: 1500

Editor's Picks

Most read

Top Articles