Slough man sent to prison for attempted murder and rape in Salt Hill Park

Tara O'Connor

Slough man sent to prison for attempted murder and rape in Salt Hill Park

A 19-year-old mechanical engineering student has been sentenced to 22 years in prison for the rape and attempted murder of a woman in a Slough park.

Damian Kazimierczak, 19, of Salt Hill Way, showed no emotion when the sentence was passed at Reading Crown Court today (Friday).

He was found guilty by a jury after a trial that lasted nearly two weeks in July.

The court heard that between 2am and 3am on December 28 the victim, a 36-year-old woman, was attacked by Kazimierczak in Salt Hill Park.

The attack took place close to the footpath near the A4 Bath Road, almost directly opposite the town hall.

The victim, who cannot be named for legal reasons, received serious injuries that required immediate medical attention.

Before sentencing, Judge John Reddihough listed the victim’s injuries which included a fractured bone in her neck, severe respiratory distress, a badly broken jaw and nose, and bruising and scratches on her face.

She remained in hospital for several days after the assault.

Kazimierczak, who was not known to authorities in the UK or his birthplace in Poland, was arrested on January 9 and charged with the offences on January 10.

During the trial, the court heard how the 19-year-old said he had paid for consensual sex with the victim but denied attacking her.

He claimed that the victim had mistaken him for somebody else and called the evidence against him, including the presence of the victim’s blood on his shoes, a ‘coincidence.’

Kazimierczak was sentenced to 22 years for attempted murder and 10 years for rape, to run concurrently.

He was also served a four year extended licence period due to the violent nature of the assault and was added to the sex offenders register indefinitely.

Judge Reddihough described the assault as a 'sustained attack that caused severe physical harm'.

Wearing a blue shirt, the 19-year-old sat calmly throughout the sentencing as emotional members of his family watched on from the public gallery.

One called out ‘I love you Damian’ when he was escorted from the courtroom.  

Kazimierczak will be eligible for release when he has served two thirds of the sentence. 

Senior investigating officer, Detective Superintendent Kevin Brown, said: “This was a vicious attack which left the victim with severe injuries, as well as mental scars that cannot be healed. She was brutally beaten about the head, strangled with such force as to break a bone in her neck and raped whilst unconscious by Kazimierczak before he left her for dead.

“Kazimierczak has always maintained the attack was down to another unknown individual.

“However, given the overwhelming evidence compiled by the investigating team, including the compelling forensic evidence of the victim’s blood being found on his shoes, Kazimierczak was found guilty by the jury in July this year and today he has been sentenced for his terrible crimes.

“Understandably the offences had an impact on the community, especially those who live near and use the Salt Hill Park. I would like to thank the public for their cooperation during our investigation.”

Adrian Foster, chief crown prosecutor for Thames and Chiltern Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) said: “This was a planned, targeted and violent stranger rape. Damian Kazimierczak is clearly an extremely ruthless, predatory and dangerous man.

“The victim was walking past the Absolutely Ten Pin entrance of the park in the early hours of December 28, 2015, when she met Kazimierczak. The two spoke briefly before he grabbed her and threw her to the ground in some bushes. Kazimiercazk then launched a vicious attack, striking the prone victim multiple times to the face before strangling her into unconsciousness and then raping her.

“The victim required surgery for a range of injuries including a broken jaw, broken nose, fractured hyoid (neck bone), and swelling/bruising to her eyes, lips, tongue, temple, neck and collar bone.

“Kazimierczak had left the scene, but, via CCTV, the police were able to trace his movements during the evening and to the entrance of the park. Further police work forensically linked Kazimierzak to the scene of the offence and clothing recovered from his home address was found to have the victim’s blood on it.

“This prosecution would not have been possible without the courage of the victim, who was willing to support proceedings. The physical and emotional impact on her of the abhorrent actions of Kazimierczak is impossible to quantify. I hope that the conviction and today’s sentence will offer her some comfort. Our thoughts are very much with her at this time.”

Editor's Picks

Most read

Top Articles