Sat, 06
15 °C
Sun, 07
20 °C
Mon, 08
18 °C

Football round-up: Dunn scores the only goal as Slough Town beat Chelmsford City

Dan Darlington

Football round-up: Dunn scores the only goal as Slough Town beat Chelmsford City

Slough Town 1, Chelmsford City 0

Simon Dunn scored the game’s only goal as Slough Town beat promotion hopefuls Chelmsford City 1-0 at Arbour Park.

The game’s defining moment arrived five minutes before the break when Warren Harris crossed for Dunn to fire the Rebels ahead.

The Rebels, playing their first game since James Dobson’s move to Sutton United, might have wrapped up the points in the 58th minute when Chris Flood was sent clean through, but the striker was robbed of the ball as he attempted to take it around the keeper.

Matty Lench, resigned by the club this week, was brought on for Louie Soares in the 68th minute.

There was one more big chance for the Rebels in the 76th minute, when a Jack Turner kick was chested down by Flood for Lee Togwell to strike, but his volley flew just wide.

Afterwards, joint manager Neil Baker said on twitter: “A very professional performance and win. To keep two clean sheets against Bath (who the Rebels drew 0-0 with on Tuesday) and Chelmsford is a big achievement. Jon Underwood and I said we would be happy with four points from Torquay, Bath and Chelmsford and that is what we have.”

Today’s results see Slough move up to 10th in National League South on 38 points, three points off the play-offs and Welling United in seventh.

Slough host Chippenham Town next Saturday.


Marlow 0, Westfield 1

Marlow were undone by a second half strike from Dylan Cascoe, as Westfield left Oak Tree Road with all three points this afternoon.

The promotion contenders were looking to build on last weekend’s hard-earned away win over South Park but in a scrappy game which saw several Marlow players get cautioned, they were turned over on home soil.

Marlow drop to fourth in the table ahead of their game at home to Bedfont Sports on Saturday.


Flackwell Heath 4, Didcot Town Development 1

The Heathens bagged their place in the next round of the Bluefin Supplementary Cup at Wilks Park this afternoon, confidently dispatching Didcot Town Development 4-1.

Having fallen behind in the 18th minute, the Heathens levelled matters from the penalty spot through Adam Thomas.

Anyadike-Thompson latched onto a short back pass to score their second 10 minutes into the second half and Charlie Samuels tapped in their third on the hour mark. Their passage to the next round was confirmed by Josh Dillon’s superb curler in the 93rd minute.

Flackwell Heath are in Floodlit Cup action at Kidlington Development on Monday.


Windsor 3, Cheltenham Saracens 0

For the second consecutive match Dan Roberts netted a hat-trick as Windsor won confidently in a cup competition.

After last week’s FA Vase win at AFC Uckfield this time Windsor beat Cheltenham Saracens 3-0 in the Bluefin Sports Challenge Cup (League Cup).

They took the lead in the 26 minute when Roberts scored from George Gould’s assist. He then all but killed the tie off with a second minutes later and then had to wait until the 92nd minute to complete his hat-trick, Jack Hall with the assist.

Windsor go to Ardley United in the league next Saturday.


Aldermaston 3, Burnham 3

Burnham conceded a 97th minute equaliser as Aldermaston came from behind to snatch an unlikely 3-3 draw.

The Blues have been sweeping all before them in the league this season, and last weekend’s Berks & Bucks Senior Trophy loss to Sandhurst Town was their first for three months.

But they were never quite able to shake off a determined Aldermaston this afternoon. The hosts took the lead before Dean Allen levelled matters on the stroke of half-time. George Weller showed great composure to put the Blues 2-1 to the good before Aldermaston hit back.

Paul Shone’s men must have thought they’d won it when Lucas Sinclair scored to make it 3-2 but they were denied all three points at the death.

The Blues are still in a commanding position at the top of Hellenic League Division 1 East, but this result may give some hope to the chasing pack.


Wrightchoice & Unity 1, Holyport 0

Holyport were in cup action at Wrightchoice & Unity in the Reading Senior Cup this afternoon, losing 1-0 despite having most of the game’s good chances.

Dan Rapley came closest for Port, striking the crossbar in the second half while Fabian Driffill and Lowther both had shots blocked on the goalline.

Their bad luck continued in extra-time as Evans saw his shot from 25 yards come back off the crossbar and Wright had another good header saved.

Boss Derek Sweetman must have known it was one of those days and those fears were confirmed seven minutes from the end when Wrightchoice bagged the winner.


Wycombe Wanderers 3, Doncaster Rovers 2

All the goals came in the second half as Wycombe Wanderers edged out Doncaster Rovers at Adams Park.

The Chairboys netted twice in a frantic final few minutes with Curtis Thompson rifling home in the 90th minute to make it 2-2 before Paris Cowan-Hall’s looping header made it 3-2 in the 94th minute.

The hosts had been 2-0 down before Cowan-Hall scored the first of his two goals in the 77th minute.

13th placed Wycombe go to Bristol Rovers next Saturday.


Reading 2, Nottingham Forest 0

Reading picked up a huge result in their battle to avoid the drop from the Championship, beating Nottingham Forest 2-0 at the Madejski.

John Swift coolly slotted the Royals in front in the 25th minute from a Modou Barrow cross and a vital three points were confirmed when Andy Yiadom’s cross was turned into his own net by a Forest defender three minutes from time.

The win lifts the Royals to within two points of safety. They visit Derby County next Saturday.

Leave your comment

Share your opinions on

Characters left: 1500

Editor's Picks

Most read

Top Ten Articles