Thu, 21
8 °C
Fri, 22
6 °C
Sat, 23
4 °C

Football round-up: Maidenhead United stung by Bees but Slough Town extend unbeaten run with victory over Hampton

Daniel Darlington

FOOTBALL 131723-25

Maidenhead FC v Chorley FCYork Road, Maidenhead.

Barnet FC 1, Maidenhead United 0

Josh Walker's second half goal proved the difference as Maidenhead United went down to their first away defeat of the season at The Hive this afternoon.

Taye Ashby-Hammond was in fine form for the visitors throughout the first half, saving well to keep out efforts from Akinola in the 21st minute and Charlie Adams in the 41st minute. 

The on-loan Fulham stopper denied Akinola again from close quarters in the final minutes of the half to ensure the sides went in level at the break. 

The Bees stung in the 64th minute. Adams created the goal with a shot that Ashby-Hammond could only parry and Walker was on hand to slot home the rebound. 

James Akintunde went close for the visitors with a shot that was deflected behind for a corner. But the Bees came close to making it 2-0 in the 78th minute when Ephron Jardell strode through on goal only to curl the ball wide of the post. 

United were handed a late chance to level things up when Barnet conceded a free-kick right on the edge of the area, but Danny Whitehall's set-piece went straight into the wall and the home side were able to clear the danger. 

Afterwards assistant boss Ryan Peters said: "Close game today but we were quite good enough to take any points back with us. Fans were impressive as always, still cheering and singing well after the final whistle. We go again."

Maidenhead, who drop a couple of places to sixth in the National League, host Harrogate Town at York Road on Saturday. 


Slough Town 3, Hampton & Richmond Borough 1

Goals from Sam Togwell, Dan Roberts and Josh Jackman saw Slough Town extend their unbeaten run to eight games with victory over Hampton & Richmond Borough at Arbour Park. 

Joint managers Neil Baker and Jon Underwood conceded the Rebels weren't quite at their best, but despite this they were able to pick up the points. 

A far post header from Sam Togwell in the sixth minute put them in front before a failure to deal with a corner allowed Deadfield to smash in Hampton's equaliser on 17 minutes. 

Slough's man of the match, Roberts, restored their advantage on the stroke of half-time, running onto Simon Dunn's throughball before clipping the ball past the keeper and into the net via the post. 

The goalrush then continued a minute after the restart when Max Worsfold picked out Josh Jackman beautifully from a free-kick and the defender headed home his first of the season. 

Hampton went close on a couple of occasions in the second half, with Orsi-Dadomo hitting the post but it wasn't to be for the visitors as the Rebels run goes on. 

Afterwards Underwood said: "Have set ourselves high standards in recent weeks and we didn't quite match those today. But full credit to our lads for an incredible recovery after those first three games."

The win lifts Slough to eighth ahead of next Saturday's trip to Dartford.


Marlow 2, Chertsey Town 4

Marlow's promotion hopes received an unexpected blow as they were beaten 4-2 at home by Chertsey Town this afternoon. 

Things appeared to be going Mark Bartley's side's way  after goals from Charlie Samuel and Devontae Romeo gave them a 2-1 lead in the early stages. But Scott Day and Michael Peacock replied to make it 2-2 before Jake Baxter scored from the spot to send the visitors in ahead at the break. 

Another goal from Lubomir Guentchev in the 49th minute then gave the Blues a mountain to climb in the second half and they weren't able to do it.

Ninth placed Marlow host Uxbridge in the league on Tuesday night.  


Windsor 0, Burnham 5 (friendly)

A friendly between Windsor FC and Burnham FC resulted in a comprehensive 5-0 win for Paul Shone's men. 

The Royalists appointed former club captain Mark Cooper in the week. 

Windsor host Thame Rangers in the Floodlit Cup on Tuesday while Burnham are back in action at Binfield on Monday in the Berks & Bucks Senior Cup.


Raunds Town 1, Flackwell Heath 2 (FA Vase)

A late thunderbolt from Jack Taylor helped Flackwell Heath advance to the next round of the FA Vase at the expense of Raunds Town. 

Khalid Simmo gave the visiting side the lead in the 27th minute, shifting the ball onto his left foot before striking it past the keeper. 

Marcus Richardson's men held the lead until the 75th minute when Raunds netted with their first real chance of the game. 

But Taylor hammered home the winner with a few minutes to play to book the Heathens passage to the next round. 

Flackwell Heath host Slough Town in the FA Cup next Saturday. 


Wellingborough Town 1, Holyport 0 (FA Vase)

Holyport bowed out of the FA Vase after narrow defeat at Wellingborough. 

A brave effort from Derek Sweetman's side saw them go close to taking the lead through Andy Forisky, whose second half strike brushed the post, before conceding an own goal in the latter stages. 

Holyport are next in action in the BBST cup competition at home to Wraysbury on Saturday. 


Gillingham 2, Wycombe Wanderers 0

Wycombe Wanderers saw their unbeaten streak in League 1 ended by a 2-0 defeat to Gillingham.

Ndjoli fired home the Gills' first in the 58th minute before bagging his second from the penalty spot in the 75th minute. 

The Chairboys drop to third in the table ahead of Tuesday's home game against Accrington Stanley.


Middlesbrough 1, Reading 0

Marvin Johnson scored the game's only goal as Reading lost narrowly at Middlesbrough. 

Johnson's 55th minute free-kick from the right somehow found a way through a packed penalty area and into the bottom corner of the Royals' net and Jose Gomes' side weren't able to respond. 

Reading, 17th in the Championship, host Blackburn Rovers next Saturday.

Leave your comment

Share your opinions on

Characters left: 1500

Editor's Picks

Most read

Top Ten Articles