Sat, 28
11 °C
Sun, 29
9 °C
Mon, 30
10 °C

House party ended in tragedy after fatal stabbing

House party ended in tragedy after fatal stabbing

Nick Mayo

House party ended in tragedy after fatal stabbing
Wanted: Kanwarjeet Singh Batth

Chilling details of how a house party ended in death after a whisky-fuelled fight have emerged this week - as police vowed to continue the hunt for the prime suspect.

On-the-run Kanwarjeet Singh Batth is wanted for questioning over the murder of his cousin Opinderpal Singh Randhawa.

Speaking after an inquest at Windsor Guildhall today,  Acting Detective Inspector Ali Driver said: "We appeal to anyone who knows his whereabouts to come forward."

He said his team have Batth's passport but believe he has fled the country, travelling to Europe after staying with a friend in Luton.

The fatal stabbing followed a drunken row sparked by Batth's embarrassment over having his photograph taken while drinking and a perceived slight against the victim's mother.


The inquest heard how Mr Randhawa was stabbed to death at his home in Elliman Avenue, Slough, on December 28 2010.


The scene of the stabbing in Elliman Avenue

The 23-year-old and five other men - friends and cousins - were having a party to celebrate housemate Bhupinderjit Singh's forthcoming wedding in India.

A jolly atmosphere gave way to violence after the victim began a video chat on his laptop with his mum and brother in India.

His cousin, Batth, became concerned when he believed Mr Randhawa's mother had used the webcam to take a picture of him with a glass of alcohol in his hand and a whisky bottle on the table, worried about the shame it would bring if his family saw it.

The inquest heard Mr Randhawa called his family back and confirmed it was his brother who took the picture.

Angered by the accusation that his mother had taken the offending image, he punched his cousin before they wrestled.

The fight was broken up and then Mr Randhawa picked up a bottle and tried to hit Batth with it, but missed and hit the wall.

Soon after, the inquest heard, Batth went into the kitchen and came back with a knife and the single fatal stab wound was inflicted.

A post-mortem revealed the Indian man died from a haemorrhage due to a 8cm deep stab wound to the abdomen.

East Berkshire coroner Peter Bedford recorded a verdict of unlawful killing.

Batth appeared on BBC Crimewatch's Most Wanted Faces but the inspector said continued effort to locate him had 'so far drawn a blank'.

Contact police on 101 or Crimestoppers on 0800 555111.

Leave your comment

Share your opinions on

Characters left: 1500

Editor's Picks

Most read

Top Ten Articles