UPDATE: Three teenagers sentenced over the death of Wa-ays Dhaye

Grace Witherden

Grace Witherden

UPDATE: Three teenagers sentenced over the death of Wa-ays Dhaye

(From left) Antwon Clarke, Kaneel Huggins and Khianni Gordon.

Three teenagers convicted of the murder and manslaughter of 18-year-old Wa-ays Dhaye have been sentenced at Reading Crown Court.

Mr Dhaye, of Chester Road, was stabbed in nearby Thurston Road as he walked home from Slough Railway Station following a trip to Notting Hill Carnival on Monday, August 31.

The trio were found guilty following a five-week trial at the same court in April.

Khianni Gordon, 18, of Cullyn Road, High Wycombe, was sentenced to life in prison with a minimum term of 19 years for murder and 18 months in a young offenders’ institution for perverting the course of justice, to run concurrently.

Kaneel Huggins, 19, also of Cullyn Road, High Wycombe, was sentenced to nine years in a young offenders’ institution, plus 12 months for perverting the course of justice, to run consecutively.

Antwon Clarke, 18, of Garratts Way, High Wycombe, who was found guilty of manslaughter, has been sentenced to nine years in a young offenders’ institute.

During the trial, the jury heard that as a result of taunts over Twitter and an altercation at the carnival, the trio followed Mr Dhaye through Slough before the fatal attack near his home.  

Sentencing, Judge Joanna Cutts said: “You are all young men.

“Wa-ays’ family have sat through the trial with dignity.

“He was described as a caring, compassionate, humorous young man and was going to start a degree in computer science at Hertfordshire university in September. 

“He had a life, a life which you took from him.

“You must face the consequences of your actions. He had no idea the danger he was in when he walked home.

“He was his father’s only child and the son of a refugee.

“There was a fight at the carnival for a few minutes which was broken up by police. That is where you should have left it.”

Senior Investigating Officer, Detective Chief Inspector Kevin Brown, said: “After taunts over Twitter and a minimal altercation at Notting Hill Carnival between two groups of youths, the three teenagers travelled from Notting Hill to Slough, in a car loaned to Huggins, to lie in wait for the other group at Slough Railway Station.

“They then hunted Wa-ays down away from his friends before stalking him through the streets of Slough and brutally attacking him close to his home, inflicting fatal injuries. 

“The three of them left Wa-ays dying in the street and it was members of the public who found him and came to his aid. 

“All three defendants travelled back to High Wycombe and two days later Gordon and Huggins took the car and burnt it out in Marlow, destroying evidence.

“Wa-ays’ family have had to endure not only their heartbreaking loss, but also the ordeal of a court case in order to see those responsible for Wa-ays’ death brought to justice. None of the offenders accepted their own responsibility in relation to Wa-ays’ murder and blamed others.

“A family has lost their loved one in an incredibly devastating and traumatic way.

“There is no punishment that will change what has happened, or bring Wa-ays back, and I do not expect the sentences to help ease their pain.

“I can only hope that the knowledge that the people who killed Wa-ays are behind bars will give his family some comfort.

“I would like to offer again my sincere condolences to Wa-ays’ family  members and thank them for their humility throughout the trial. Our thoughts remain with them.”

Adrian Foster, Chief Crown Prosecutor for Thames and Chiltern Crown Prosecution Service, said: “This case represents a tragedy for Wa-ays’ family and friends who have been devastated by his death. 

“The witnesses were utterly unprepared for what they saw, two of them acted courageously on the night in their efforts to save Wa-ays’ life, and all of them have given evidence in very difficult circumstances. 

“I would like to pay tribute to Wa-ays’ family and friends and the witnesses for their wholehearted support of the investigation and prosecution. 

"We have worked closely with Thames Valley Police since this investigation was launched and as a result of the hard work and diligence of the prosecution team, a just outcome has been achieved. 

“The consequences of this incident highlight the significant danger of carrying knives. The CPS takes all allegations of violence and knife crime extremely seriously and will continue to vigorously prosecute all such offenders. 

“We know that nothing will bring Wa-ays back to his family and friends, but we hope that the convictions and today’s sentences bring them at least a small sense that justice has been done. Our thoughts are very much with them all at this time."

Editor's Picks

Most read

Top Articles