11:45AM, Tuesday 07 June 2016
A High Court hearing which could decide the future of Khalsa Secondary Academy in Stoke Poges is due to take place next month.
Stoke Poges Parish Council announced on its Facebook page that it has been told the hearing, which appeals a government decision for Khalsa Secondary Academy to remain on its current site, will be held on July 12 and 13 in London.
The parish council announced in February that it planned to make an appeal to the High Court when the Secretary of State for Communities and Local Government, Greg Clark, said he disagreed with an independent planning inspector’s decision in 2014 which ruled the school could not remain at Pioneer House in Hollybush Hill.
Vice chairman of the parish council, Saera Carter, said: “We are delighted that we finally have a date in the High Court for the village of Stoke Poges to have its voice heard.
“The government have completely ignored the perfectly fair and reasonable arguments against siting a secondary school in this beautiful greenbelt Buckinghamshire village, and we look forward to being able to present our case to a judge, whom we trust will agree with the district council and the planning inspector to refuse prior approval for this school.”
Mr Clark’s predecessor, Eric Pickles, had previously overruled the refusal from the planning inspector for the school to remain in Hollybush Hill in September 2014, before making a U-turn in April 2015 to support the decision.
Mr Pickles said this was due to misinterpretation and misunderstanding of the predicted noise that would be generated by the 840 pupils.
When Mr Clark took office, he disagreed with Mr Pickles and announced his support for the school to remain on its current site.
A statement from the school said: "We are confident that the High Court hearing will be in our favour and want to thank the parents, pupils, staff and the community for the tremendous support they have provided to the school during the last three years."
Top Ten Articles
Members of staff at Wexham Park Hospital have tested positive for coronavirus, and the elderly care ward affected has been closed to new admissions for two weeks.