10:17AM, Wednesday 27 May 2020
The crew manager of Slough Fire Station has said that people should only be burning garden waste in domestic bonfires, not plastic.
Last night a crew from Slough were called to a garden bonfire at a property in Furnival Avenue between 9.30-10pm.
Crew manager David Chambers said the small blaze caused ‘quite a significant amount’ of smoke.
The crew were at the scene for about 10 to 15 minutes extinguishing the flames.
Mr Chambers said: “We seem to be attending a lot more domestic bonfires while we’re in lockdown.
“People are trying to get rid of the waste that they would normally take to refuse centres.”
He added: “You can burn a little bit of garden waste, but we seem to find people are burning plastic which is causing a nuisance to the neighbours and it’s a health risk as well.”
A new Maidenhead father has hit out at a registry office for the way they have handled the official registering of his baby in Slough.
The race to get as many people vaccinated against coronavirus has ramped up in the Royal Borough and Slough amidst an ongoing rise in cases across the country.
The perilous state of Slough Borough Council’s finances has been revealed with the council predicted to have a £159 million deficit by 2024/25 if drastic action is not taken.